The life-size, fibreglass Lions of Windsor & Maidenhead sculptures will be transformed by leading artists and designers from around the world in a wide range of styles, from fine art to mosaics, street art and illustrations to abstract designs.
The high-profile designers include iconic fashion designer Dame Zandra Rhodes, Kaffe Fassett MBE, Lyora Pissaro, Andrew Logan, Anna Kompaniets, Martin Brown and Craig Wheatley, as well as less well known and amateur artists who have had the opportunity to submit their lion designs.
As sponsors come on board, they browse the 70+ stunning lion designs in the Lion Artists’ Portfolio and are then match-made with their favourite artist to start the creative process. Sponsors can also work with one of the artists to create a bespoke design or nominate their own artist or in-house design team.
Lisa Todd, the event’s Creative Director says, “We are over the moon that the Lions of Windsor 2019 sculpture trail has attracted some of the most famous names in art and design from around the world and encouraged new and amateur artists to send us their submissions. Windsor is already a tourist hot spot and we are confident that the beautifully decorated lion sculptures will make Windsor and the Royal Borough the destination event of the summer for residents, visitors and tourists.”
The eye-catching lion sculptures are available for sponsorship by businesses and organisations and lion cubs are available for schools to decorate. For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone the Lion Team on 07720 880088.
About the Designers
- Iconic British Designer textile and fabric designer Dame Zandra Rhodes‘ is as dramatic, glamorous and extrovert as her amazing designs. Her lion is currently being decorated in her London studio.
- American Kaffe Fassett MBE is best known for his colourful designs in the decorative arts—needlepoint, patchwork, knitting, painting and ceramics. He has exhibited around the world and his lion is being transformed into a colourful, floral masterpiece
- Contemporary French Artist Lélia Pissaro is the great granddaughter of Camille Pissaro and lives and works in London. We are delighted to welcome such a famous name to the pride!
- Andrew Logan, one of Britain’s principal sculptural artists, challenges convention, mixes media and plays with our artistic values. His bright pink lion, with bejewelled crown, is currently on show in Windsor Yards.
- Russian Anna Kompaniets work is heavily influenced by her rich cultural heritage and her passion for history, fashion, music, theatre, politics, philosophy, folk art, and the surreal. Anna is creating a glittering lion for sponsor Berry’s Jewellers.
- Craig Wheatley is an art director and surface pattern designer working in Paris, and is the ex-Creative Director for Christian Lacroix,
- Martin Brown, illustrator of the popular Horrible Histories book series, has created an eye-catching wildlife-themed lion. Keep an eye out for the Horrible Histories movie, which is released later this summer.
Beccy submitted a fabulous lion design, which was snapped up by the Cinnamon Cafe, featuring hundreds of humorous scenes of Windsor life. Her lion will contain hidden images to find and will be displayed at the popular Cinnamon Cafe in Windsor Royal Station from August to October.
The Eton College design features famous old Etonians..